Sunday, April 5, 2020

Humble and Triumphant

Palm Sunday, April 5, 2020
The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling

There He is, coming towards us, opening the doors of our hearts, following the path that will lead to our salvation. He’s riding a donkey, not yet walking the way of the cross, both humble and triumphant, arriving in the city, with NYC crowds lining the streets, masks gracing their faces. Both forgiving and compassionate, He is ready to endure the pain of suffering and death for our sake. Open your gates, we cry, the King of Glory is about to enter in!

Forgive me, I also plead, following Him from a distance. When I arrive at the foot of the cross, I fall to my knees, praying to be spared; for I have not loved my neighbor as myself. Let Him and Them be crucified, not me, I beg, as I wash my hands for the hundredth time today. Pilate be damned.

God’s love cannot be measured I’m told, even as I watch Him stretch out His arms of love on the hard wood of the cross so that everyone, and everything, might come within the reach of God’s saving embrace. The only way to resurrection life is through the cross; and yet we still have some days to go. Lord, have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment