Sunday, July 28, 2019

Teach Us to Pray


Church of the Redeemer, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
July 28, 2019              7 Pentecost
The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling

            Jesus taught his disciples how to pray, at their request mind you, because they have seen him praying in that “certain place”, and they want to learn how to pray just like him. Or maybe they compared him to John the Baptist, who also taught his disciples how to pray. “Why don’t you teach us just like him?” they might have asked Jesus. Getting a text from someone while he was praying, Jesus responded immediately. “This is how you do it,” he said. “Just pray these six short phrases and you’re done.”
Not really; for Jesus then told his disciples that they needed to persist in their prayers. It’s not a matter of “one and done.” Like the man who ran out of bread in the middle of the night, and persisted in knocking on his friend’s door, Jesus told them that they should keep on praying. It wasn’t the friendship that mattered in this midnight run. No, it was the man’s annoying persistence. In today’s jargon, we might tell them to “keep on trucking” or “keep on, keeping on!” with their prayers.
According to this story, the man first told his friend at the door to go away, but the friend persisted. Having pressed the snooze button many times, the man finally got out of bed just to stop the racket outside. Flinging open the door to his home, he told his friend, probably not in the most hospitable voice, to take whatever he needed and go home so that he could go back to bed! Persistence trumps friendship, said Jesus.
The request for bread, quite frankly, doesn’t seem to warrant such urgency; but then I am living an extremely privileged life. In truth, I’m a little appalled that this man is pounding on the door of his friend because he needs bread for his guest. Can’t it wait until the morning? Presumably, he has a home, and so, isn’t there some hummus, or grapes, or dried fruit in his kitchen that he could offer his guest until the morning?  Really, I wondered, what’s so important about bread that this man leaves his guest in the middle of the night to go to his friend’s house and knock on his door?
Now what comes next in Luke’s gospel seems equally as annoying to me. Jesus claims that if we are persistent in our prayers, we will also get what we ask for. When we search for something lost, God will find it for us. When we knock on the door of God’s mansion, which has many rooms, God won’t tell us to go away because his children are sleeping and God is too. No, Jesus says, God will get out of his king size bed and respond. Opening the door in the middle of that dark night, God will not be annoyed, nor will God tell the servants to fetch whatever is needed. Indeed, God will personally and graciously hand over the goods. Goods as simple as daily bread. Gifts that are good and won’t hurt us like a snake or a scorpion.
             You would think that praying would be simple; and yet, for many people it’s not. Although basic, prayers can be hard to understand, let alone do, which is why I have a gazillion books written on the subject. Prayer is both a holy mystery and a simple task; and I’ve found that my prayer life keeps changing over my lifetime, rising like yeast, then getting stale, or becoming flat like unleavened bread. My prayers come in all sizes and shapes, colors and tastes. They can be home-made or store bought, sliced thin, or with a thick crust. We all pray differently; I like multigrain bread with lots of seeds, while my husband prefers toasted Italian.
Fortunately, we have a basic text book that we call The Book of Common Prayer. For us Episcopalians, this book is like having a religion course called Prayer 101. With this book in hand, we don’t have to rely on the Holy Spirit to teach us how to pray. We can just read the lines that are right in front of us. Besides Jesus already taught us how to pray using those six simple lines from scripture.
Perhaps you, like me, will resort to the Lord’s prayer, when you’re in a pinch or on the spot and don’t have a book in front of you. It’s one of those prayers that serves us well when we’re feeling at a loss for words, we don’t know what to say, or how to pray. And yet, we forget that Jesus also promised to send us the Holy Spirit to teach us those things that he could not teach us while he was among us.
As St. Paul reminded the Christians in Rome, the Holy Spirit “helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes (for us) with sighs too deep for words.” Is this not what Jesus said in Luke’s gospel, that our “heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask?" When we ask, seek, and knock on God’s door, God will give us God’s Spirit, who knows what we need. It may not be exactly what we want, and may even be something we don’t like. It may even hurt a little bit, but it won’t kill us like deadly venom; and so we persist in our prayers. For God’s Spirit will help, heal, teach, comfort, and guide us.
When I am desperate, that is when I am asking, and knocking, and seeking something that I need or want in the middle of my dark night, I persist with my “arrow prayers.” These are prayers that come from my heart, like that man who was pounding persistently on the door of his friend. I ask God, “Please, help me.” Or dropping to my knees in fear, I quietly whisper these very same words. When we pray like this, our words rarely come out in “stained glass voices” or from a book. We beg the Spirit, or Jesus, or Mary to intercede for us, to wake up our sleeping God. We ask God to get out of bed, and give us the bread that we need today.
To be honest, I have prayed fervently and faithfully throughout my life with mixed results. There were times when I could not pray at all, and so I leaned on those who could. My requests have never been for actual bread, but rather requests for help. Unfortunately, God has not delivered the goods on more than one occasion. To be fair, sometimes it was a time delay, or unfamiliar packaging, that confused or disappointed me. And then, there have been those moments when God has delivered what seemed like manna from heaven, and I have been overcome with gratitude. My prayers of supplication and petition have then turned to prayers of adoration and thanksgiving.
As N.T. Wright once wrote, our prayers are often because “we’re usually in some sort of mess and we want God to get us out of it. Or we have some fairly pressing needs, like bread in the middle of the night, and we want God to supply them.” (The Lord and His Prayer) Because these things can lead us astray, forgiveness is part of our prayers. While God is not Marie Kondo, the one who promises to declutter our lives, reorganize our closets, and sort out our problems, we do know that God has forgiven us, loves us, and gives us the power and courage to do what we can, through the gift of God’s Holy Spirit.
On my credenza at home I have a sign that says “prayer changes things.” While I remain unconvinced about whether or not prayer changes things, I do know that prayer changes me, and sometimes even changes other people or events. And so it has always been a comfort to me when I hear Jesus say “this is how you pray” and when scripture tells me that the Holy Spirit knows what’s going on in my life and in our world. In the meantime, I “pray as I can, not as I can’t.” Or as Brother David from SSJE will say, “If a certain place or way of praying is not helpful to you, then don’t do it. Find something that is helpful.”
These days, I pray much less formally at home. I build my prayer muscles at Body Pump classes, and defend myself against evil spirits in Body Combat. I go for long walks along the Charles and find peace in Body Flow, stretching places that have become tight with fear. Sitting in my living room in silence, I ponder life’s blessings and challenges, as I piece together my latest puzzle, letting God’s Spirit search me out and make things known. All in all, I believe that we pray through our words and actions on a daily basis; and that holy mysteries and simple tasks are part of that process.
I love being part of a community of faith because it holds me accountable to a life of prayer, of listening to the words of Jesus as recorded in scripture, and hearing what the Spirit is saying to God’s people in church. When  Jesus teaches me to pray, saying “Our Father,” I acknowledge that we are all beloved children of God.
Recently Pope Francis approved a change in the wording of the Lord’s prayer. Instead of saying, “Do not bring us to the time of trial or temptation” we can pray “Do not let us fall” absolving God from all blame for our human sins. Our prayers change over time; we use words when necessary. In the Eucharistic prayer, I thank God for Jesus, who is the Word of God, and who said, “I am the bread of life and whoever comes to me shall never perish.”
In 1996, N. T. Wright wrote, “If you think it was relevant for Jesus to teach his disciples over 2000 years ago how to pray, then how much more for us even today.” And so we pray, as Jesus taught his disciples, then and now. Amen.

Genesis 18:20-32
Psalm 138
Colossians 2:6-15, (16-19)
Luke 11:1-13



No comments:

Post a Comment