Sunday, July 17, 2022

Simplicity

The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling

Luke 10:38-42

As Jesus and his disciples went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."


“There is need of only one thing.”


We have needs, and I had a need to reflect upon several pressing matters in my life. I needed help from someone who knew me well and yet wasn’t involved with my “pressing matters.” I’ve been distracted and worried lately, not by many tasks like Martha, but rather by my concerns for others. I knew that I needed to focus, and so I visited my spiritual friend and companion for conversation, who welcomed me into his home. While waiting for him to arrive, I looked at some prayer cards that were on display. Each one had one word on the front. “Focus,” I said to myself. “What is it that you need right now?” The prayer card answered. “Simplicity: to will one thing.”

Like Mary, I knew that I needed to sit at the feet of Jesus. When my friend arrived, we went to a quiet place, a room in which I found simplicity: two chairs, a table, and a box of kleenex. I didn’t sit at my friend’s feet but across from him; and yet we knew that there was a “third party” in the room. My recent “distractions”, my multiple worries, and one “pressing matter” in particular, had made it clear to me that I needed to focus on one thing only. I needed to align my will with God’s will. I needed the gift of simplicity in my complicated world. I needed Jesus.

“One of the virtues most sought after by the early Desert Fathers and Mothers was the virtue of ‘purity of heart.’ They focused all their prayer and effort on obeying Jesus’ command to ‘strive first for the kingdom of God and God’s righteousness.’ They trusted that if they did this, God would provide them with all that was needed to sustain their lives.” (SSJE, Simplicity)

“To will one thing” is to seek God first, and that takes constant reminders for me, especially when I’m feeling overwhelmed with worldly events, human suffering, and concern for others. I remember that God provides - that God knows our needs before we even ask. 

So, in the morning, I focus on my needs for the day: I ask God to help me let go of the chains of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow. Turning my attention to God, I know that my need is simple: to love God, myself, and others as best I can. Sitting at the feet of Jesus like Mary, I know I need only this one thing. Then, like Martha, I can carry on with those pressing matters of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment