Sunday, April 4, 2021

The Gardener

 The Day of the Resurrection, Easter         The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling


John 20.15:

Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, why are you weeping? For whom are you looking?’ Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.’


The Gardener

Have I lived enough?

Have I loved enough?

Have I considered Right Action enough, have I come to any conclusion?

Have I experienced happiness with sufficient gratitude?

Have I endured loneliness with grace?


I say this, or perhaps I’m just thinking it.

Actually, I probably think too much.


Then I step out into the garden,

where the gardener, who is said to be a simple man,

is tending his children, the roses.

by Mary Oliver


The Gardener

Mary Oliver likes to ask questions. She has good ones.

Like her, sometimes I think too much, especially when I’m looking for answers.

This year gave us plenty of time for questions.

So when exactly will resurrection begin?


I’m not a gardener. I tend to kill beautiful things.

Not intentionally, mind you. 

I just don’t spend the time to water.

And then I flood the poor plant with an overdose.


My favorite bush was an anniversary gift from my mother.

She was a Master Gardener, certifiable.

“You’ll find me in the garden” the plaque on her wall announced.

Place my ashes there.


My sweetheart rose bush could not be destroyed.

Even when in a fit of anger, I pruned it with a vengeance.

To my chagrin and delight, it blossomed fully and beautifully like never before.


In the Garden, I weep and ask questions like Mary.

When will resurrection begin? 

And The Gardener answers.

God’s rose bush cannot be destroyed.

It will be raised to new life, countless sweetheart roses,

blossoming fully and beautifully, like never before.


No comments:

Post a Comment