Saturday, October 24, 2020

Guerrillas of Grace

The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling                            

Ted Loder, Guerrillas of Grace: “Precious Lord, grant me a sense of humor that adds perspective to compassion, gratitude that adds persistence to courage, quietness of spirit that adds irrepressibility to hope, openness of mind that adds surprise to joy; that with gladness of heart I may link arm and aim with the One who saw signs of your kingdom in salt and yeast, pearls and seeds, travelers and tax collectors, sowers and harlots, foreigners and fishermen, and open my eyes with these signs and my ears with the summons to follow to something more of justice and joy.”

Lately, I have needed an attitude adjustment, almost on a daily basis. Despite the bright blue sky overhead, occasionally I have felt like Linus in that cartoon series called Peanuts. A rain cloud will appear over me no matter where I walk. And I have walked plenty of places: flat surfaces, hills, valleys, and beaches. Rural places, suburbs, and cities around our world. And what do I see? Not the beauty of God’s creation but the ugliness of humanity. It is all in my head, and not in my eyes. I need an attitude adjustment.

I like Ted Loder’s title “Guerrillas of Grace” for many reasons. Guerrilla warfare is occupying my brain. I need grace! That undeserved and unmerited love of God for everyone and everything, even me. The pandemic and politics have limited my viewpoints, narrowed my perspective, and pulled me into a shell of isolation. I need to look beyond the barricades. I need to link “arms with the One who saw signs of God’s kingdom” everywhere, and then ask God for an attitude adjustment. “Grant me a sense of humor that adds perspective to compassion, gratitude that adds persistence to courage, quietness of spirit that adds irrepressibility to hope. Open my eyes and mind; help me follow You and find justice and joy.”

Despite his age, Moses still had plenty of vigor, and so he climbed Mount Nebo to be alone with God. There, from that vantage point, he could see farther than the plains of Moab. He saw valleys, the Mediterranean Sea, the Jordan River, and palm trees offering shade in the desert. He saw cities, both great and small, that dotted the landscape. There, he had a vision of God’s promises. He saw a land of opportunity. He imagined a future with many good things.

Centuries later, Jesus walked this very land. He saw “signs of God’s kingdom in salt and yeast, pearls and seeds, travelers and tax collectors, sowers and harlots, foreigners and fishermen.” He brought justice and joy with Him everywhere He went, promising good things, not just on the sunny days of summer, but also in the dark times of winter. Even though ploughshares were beaten into swords and pruning hooks into spears, Jesus brought peace to the middle east.

“You will see God’s grace,” Jesus said. Just open your eyes to “see God’s hand at work in the world about you.” And so, today, I link arms with God, and look for the guerillas of grace all around me. I pray for an attitude adjustment once again.

Ted Loder, Guerrillas of Grace: “Eternal Friend, grant me an ease to breathe deeply of this moment, this light, this miracle of now. Beneath the din and fury of great movements and harsh news and urgent crises, make me attentive still to good news, to small occasions, and the grace of what is possible for me to be, to do, to give, to receive, that I may miss neither my neighbor’s gift nor my enemy’s need.

Deuteronomy 34:1-12: Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho, and the Lord showed him the whole land. Moses was one hundred twenty years old when he died; his sight was unimpaired and his vigor had not abated.

No comments:

Post a Comment