Sunday, June 7, 2020

Genesis: A Rainbow Coalition


Trinity Sunday, June 7, 2020
The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling
Genesis: A Rainbow Coalition

In the beginning, everything that God created was good. That is until we humans took control and put ourselves at the center. “You gave me free will,” we say to God, “and I want what I want when I want it. I have my rights!” And then the winds of chaos blew around the globe, creating formless voids of darkness, and in that darkness, volcanoes of violence and hate erupted.
I know something about chaos, violence, and hate. I know something about oppression and injustice. I know about rage; and I confess to murderous thoughts. I know fear and disrespect. I have been spit upon and followed by a man with the intention to do me harm. I have had “the talk” with my kids about many things. But unlike my brothers and sisters of color, I have also enjoyed untold privileges by growing up white in America.
While my particular experiences are not yours, and my truth may not be yours, I suspect we share some common feelings about the viruses of COVID 19, systemic racism, and what happened to George Floyd. We share the common ground of our genesis when God created us and blew God’s breath into our dry and dusty beings. We were made in God’s image and became God’s beloved children; and yet we are not treated equally, fairly, or justly. No wonder there is no peace.
When Cedric Malcolm, former Celtics star, praised the current black men on this team for speaking up about their experience of systemic racial injustice, he spoke truth. He also praised the peaceful protests around our country. “I just don’t think things are going to happen overnight,” Maxwell said. “It’s going to take conversation. It’s going to take work. It’s going to take opening up people’s minds. But I think a good part about these protests was that if you looked at the crowds, especially most of the peaceful crowds, it was decorated like a rainbow. There were all kinds of colors.”
In twelve step communities, we learn that we are responsible for our attitudes and actions, and not what others are or are not doing, can or cannot do, or what others should or should not be doing. I know that I can be critical and judgmental. I know that I can be prejudiced. I know that I have privileges and power; and yet I often feel powerless when I listen to the news. The serenity prayer reminds me to ask God to help me to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. It takes courage to change!
The beauty of God’s original creation is often marred by violence and masked by hate; but our diversity is most beautiful when we are unified in doing good. And while the uncontrollable winds of chaos continue to blow around our globe and within our own hearts, in the end, I believe that God’s power will ultimately save us. In the beginning, God said, “Let there be light. And there was light.”
The Trinity is God’s Love:  revealed to us in creation, shared with “the other” in our relationships, and given through courageous actions of word and deed. United in the diversity and goodness of our creation, walking in the Way of Love, we can reveal God’s original blessing through the power of the Holy Spirit. It’s up to you and me, for the sake of our world, to be part of that Trinity.

“In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness. So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.” Genesis 1: 1- 28

No comments:

Post a Comment