Sunday, May 10, 2020

Show me the Way


5 Easter, May 10, 2020
The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling

“How can we know the Way?” said Thomas to Jesus. “Show me the Way to the Father and I will believe,” said Philip. Show me the Way.

Show me the Way that dismantles the inequalities in our systems that cause poverty, death, and despair in neighborhoods of color. Show me the Way to end hatred that causes people to pick up guns in Georgia and stones that assault women. Show me the way out of this pandemic, a net that has been secretly set by the enemy and has paralyzed our nation and our world. Show me the Way out of these things that oppress our spirits.

In God’s house, there are many colors, and such evils never exist. Be that strong tower of goodness, I ask God. Show us the Way that will unite us as your beloved people and uphold us by your higher power. Show us the Way to your place where there is room enough for everyone, and spaciousness to breathe. Give us sure footholds on that climbing wall to heaven, on the path of righteousness on this earth, that will lead us to the place of eternal rest and peace.

“Lord Jesus, receive my spirit,” prayed Stephen before they stoned him. “Into your hands, I offer my spirit,” said Jesus as he hung upon the cross. “Forgive and give,” they both said in their final and finest hours.

Show us that Love is the Way. Show me that Way, today.

Acts 7:55-60
1 Peter 2:2-10
John 14:1-14
Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16


No comments:

Post a Comment