Sunday, August 11, 2019

Heart and Soul Sickness


Church of the Epiphany, Winchester, Massachusetts
August 11, 2019
The Rev. Nancy E. Gossling

 “There is a heart sickness and a soul sickness in this country that politics is not going to fix,” said one commentator this past week. In his book called Breathing Under Water, Spirituality and the 12 Steps, Richard Rohr writes that “we are all addicted in some way. When we learn to identify our addiction, embrace our brokenness, and surrender to God, we bring healing to ourselves and our world.” Breathe, I tell myself, when my pulse rate increases with anger. Breathe, I tell myself, when I start holding my breath out of fear. Breathe, I tell myself, when I hear of yet another mass shooting and my sadness overwhelms me. 
Thomas Merton was an American Trappist monk, social activist, priest, and scholar, who is often quoted for his thoughts on our human condition. “No humans are islands unto themselves,” he wrote. We often have no idea where we are going or how we will get there; and yet, Merton reminds us to trust God to lead the way. “Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” “Do not be afraid,” repeated Jesus over and over again to his little flock; “for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
            I walked the Camino to Santiago de Compostela in Spain a few years ago. I chose to walk with a group because I did not want to walk alone. There had been rumors about women who were disappearing on the Camino, and I wanted to feel safe. I had just moved to Cambridge and I was looking for “things to do” as I began my new call as a missionary and evangelist. Truth be told, I had way too much time on my hands, and my husband Paul had plenty of frequent flyer mileage on his; and so paraphrasing Jesus, I reminded him not to store up those treasures in his purse. In Spain, I could walk the Camino and pray for his human condition and mine.
            As I prepared for my trip, I received many tips for the journey. Get good, comfortable walking shoes, that are well worn and sturdy enough to endure 10-15 miles of walking every day. Walk at your own pace, not at anyone else’s. Take one step at a time, one day at a time. Remember that you are never alone, and there is always help on the Camino. Indeed, throughout my journey to Santiago de Compostela, doors were opened, lamps were lit, and meals were served with gracious hospitality. I never felt alone even when I was walking by myself. 
            When I started my journey of faith on the Camino, I knew where I was going. Our destination was 100 kilometers away and little signs would periodically appear, pointing the way to Santiago de Compostela. Eight days later my journey was over, and with a great sense of joy, I celebrated in the city with my walking companions. I watched the huge thurible in the Cathedral of St. James swing over our heads, our prayers rising like incense into the night air.
Unlike me, Abraham had set out on his journey not knowing where he was going. By faith, he believed that God was calling him to a land of promise, to a city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. Believing that he would eventually arrive in a better country, indeed, a heavenly one, he trusted God to lead the way forward, and did not turn back to the land that they had left behind.
You and I both know from scripture that he, like us, stumbled many times along the way. Without little camino signs for direction, he took wrong turns. He lied and wheedled his way out of sticky situations often at the expense of others. His sins were scarlet and his hands were full of blood. His trust walk continued, however, because he believed that God was faithful, even when he was not, and he was called to be the leader of many people for generations to come. 
Appalled at what’s happening in our own country, we seek protection from our government, our elected officials, and political leaders. In a prayer for gun violence prevention, the Rt. Rev. Stephen Lane, retired bishop of Maine, wrote “God of Righteousness, you have given our leaders power and responsibility to protect us and to uphold our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Lead us to discern what is just in the face of powerful political forces.” Whether you are red, blue, or purple, like Abraham, we all desire a better country. We all seek a homeland that is stable, secure, and safe. We all seek places that are good for all human conditions.
“Come now, let us argue it out,” says the Lord in today’s lesson from Isaiah. In her book Fierce Conversations, Achieving Success at Work and in Life - One Conversation at a Time, Susan Scott argues that we succeed or fail, one conversation at a time. Like our politicians, create your own stump speech, she suggests, and ask yourself these questions. Where am I going? Why am I going? Who is going with me? And how will I get there? If politics cannot fix our soul and heart sickness, then who or what will? If not now, then when?
            When we begin to address our heart and soul sickness in this country, we are not called to be successful. We’re just called to be faithful; and Abraham is a model of faithfulness. So too is Jesus. We walk by faith. “To have faith is like driving in the dark with headlights, when you cannot see the road around the bend.” (01/08 Today’s gift) “Faith within us is like that bird that sings in the dark before the first light of dawn appears.” (12/20 Touchstones). 
Faith tells me that there is a city built on a hill not just in Boston, or Spain, or Washington D.C. but upon a hill that I cannot see. On that hill, there is a beacon of light and a house that is built upon a rock. Knocking on the door, I will meet the master of this house, and be welcomed into God’s arms, without condition. Jesus will invite me to sit down at His table where there is food for everyone, and there is a feast that is more than just bread and wine. 
Conversations will be plentiful. I will tell Jesus stories about my journey on the Camino and how people carried me on their shoulders when I could not walk. I will tell him about the strangers and foreigners that I met along the Way, who were his hands, heart, feet, and voice. I will recall little signs of God’s presence that pointed the way forward for me in faith, encouraging me not to fall back in fear, and telling me which fork in the road to take. I will respect the dignity of every human being who is walking with me on the Camino. 
This house on this hill is climate controlled. Peace reigns in every heart, despite the fact that we don’t all agree. With every conversation broken hearts are healed, and souls are satisfied. I wash my hands before sitting down at the Table and say grace, offering words of thanksgiving for all that God has given. The waters of my baptism flow all around me, and without fear, I breathe freely, fully, and deeply for the first time. I sleep soundly.
Where am I going on my journey of faith, on my current camino prayer walk? I believe that I am going to heaven, to a better country, to a city that will never go under water.  One day at a time, one step at a time, I will go at my own pace, because I know where I am going, even though I cannot see the end. My boots are made for this kind of walking and I trust in God’s promises. Why am I going there? Because I want to go, and God wants me to come. Who is going with me? I hope all of you, and all of God’s creation. And how will we get there? By God’s grace, and with our best efforts. HOW - with honesty, openness, and willingness.
            Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. “Do not be afraid,” said Jesus; “for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Until then, be dressed for action and have your lamps lit. Cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, and plead for the widow. Sell your possessions, and give alms. God is our treasure, in our hearts and in our souls; and so we carry the light of Christ wherever we go. 
The Rev. Michael Battle told this story one month after the terrorism of 9-11. It is “a story of a young disciple in India who left home and traveled in search of a spiritual master. He found him sitting in prayer beside a river. The young man begged the master to teach him.”
“The master rose slowly, then suddenly grabbed the younger man and dragged him into the river and under the water. Seconds passed, then a minute, then another minute. The young man struggled and kicked, but still the teacher held him down until at last he drew him coughing and gasping out of the water.”
“While you were under the water, what was it you wanted?” the teacher asked. “Air,” the young man said, still panting. “And how badly did you want it?” “All . . . it was all I wanted in the world. With my whole soul I longed only for air.” “Good,” said the teacher. “When you long for God in the same way that you have just now longed for air, come back to me and you will become my disciple.” (Christian Century, October 17, 2001) “In a violent world,” wrote Michael Battle, “each of us is the young disciple in need of such intense washing.”
One breath at a time, one conversation at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time, we keep on praying; for the answer to our heart and soul sickness is God. Trust in God’s promises. Do not fall back in fear. Walk in faith, and believe that the Holy Spirit will carry us home.

Isaiah 1:1, 10-20
Psalm 50:1-8, 23-24
Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16
Luke 12:32-40

No comments:

Post a Comment